Saturday, July 13, 2013

The Learning Curve

The truth is you can read all the parenting books that you want once you have a baby, all that crap gets thrown out the window.  Poor Rosabella has been subject to our learning on the job.  We finally have the breast feeding somewhat down, she is not taking any formula and is doing well.  My nipples are surviving, not perfect, but not bad either.  Now she is refusing to nap so she gets super cranky and cries.  We watched the video "Happiest Baby on the Block" and have been using those techniques to settle her and get her to sleep and so far so good, but it has been a ton of work.  I am tired and so is the DH, but we are happy.  I keep waiting for her to grow up a little more so that she is easier to take care of, but I know that I will miss these early days.

Especially the co-sleeping, waking up with her tiny body curled against mine is one of the nicest things ever.  We never planned to completely co-sleep, we have a side bassinet for the bed that is now used to store blankets.  Now that I think about it we have been co-sleeping with Grace since we got her ashes back.  Her Bear sleeps with us every night.  The missing her just never changes, just like my love for her, it is always there even when I am happy, even when Rosabella takes every bit of energy I have (plus some), it is there.

2 comments:

  1. Life has an end. Love continues on.

    Btw, how we co-sleep with Nathan is we removed one side of the full size crib. Securely attached it to the side of our bed after adjusting the mattress to almost exactly the same height as our mattress. It gives him his own space and I sleep better while still having him in our bed. This is the first baby we have done this for and I'm loving it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use the Arm's Reach co-sleeper, and I like it so far. Much like Em's crib set up, it attaches securely to the bed. I can see him and touch him at all times, but he also has a secure space. Gabriel sleeps there for his long stretch at night, but we also sleep together in my bed for a couple of hours in the early morning, between a late night feeding and getting up for the day. His warm little body curled up against mine is the best feeling in the world.

    When I left the hospital, they gave me a Halo sleep sack/swaddle. It has been a godsend in this house. Swaddling with a blanket does not work for me because he can escape from ANY swaddle. The miracle blanket is great, but it's hard to get him into it. But the Halo sleep sack/swaddle...amazing. Just thought I would mention it in case you want to give it a try! =)

    ReplyDelete